tarynor

Jamie McGuire
Damned
Chuck Palahniuk

Good Omens

Good Omens - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman Well, I'm not going to lie. I went in with very high expectations and emerged slightly disappointed. Only slightly. I really enjoyed it and I thought it was pretty fantastic at most parts, but I didn't find it genius, which is the most popular adjective when it comes to reading reviews of this book.First of all, I loved the characters Crowley and Aziraphale. They were easily the greatest parts of this book. I loved the description of Crowley in the cast of characters, where it's said that he's not so much fallen, as "sauntered vaguely downwards". That part was genius, I will admit. I also loved how, when it came down to it, they were completely unconventional. The characterization in general was pretty terrific. Distinct personalities and natural dialogue will always get a thumbs up from me.My only real "complaint", if you will, is that I found both Newt and Anathema to be complete bores. I don't really understand why they were even there....oh well. I loved Adam Young enough to make up for it. Who would have guessed that the antichrist would be so sensible? I also really liked the ideas on humanity and divinity (and devilry, too, I suppose) that were presented. I love that Crowley barely had to do things because he saw that humans came up with much more evil things themselves.The humour itself (for which the novel is highly noted) was pretty good, though I'm sure many a British joke was lost on me. Poor, young, Canadian me. At any rate, I laughed often. Always a good sign.Compared to other books of similar length, it was a kind of long read for me. I didn't get sucked in as much as with some other novels, and I was never really dying to get back to it, but overall, I would say that it's well worth the time. The characters are definitely what made this book appealing to me!